University of Florida (UF)
PhD in Human-Centered Computing (Aug. 2020), Advisor: Dr. Benjamin Lok
MS in Computer Science (Aug. 2019)
Samford University (SU)
BA in Physics (May 2014)
- Minors in Mathematics and Computer Science
- University Fellows honors program
Graduate Research Assistant (2014 - 2020), University of Florida
PhD Research Assistant (Summer 2018), MIT Lincoln Laboratory
User Experience (UX) Research Intern (Summer 2017), Facebook
Select Honors and Awards
- Grace Hopper Scholar (2019), Anita Borg Institute
- Graduate School Fellowship (2014 - 2019), UF Graduate School
- Gartner Group Info Tech Fund Scholarship (2018), UF Department of Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering
- Intern Innovative Idea Challenge Winner (2018), MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- Board of Education Summer Fellowship (2014), UF Office of Graduate Minority Programs
- Velma Wright Irons Award for the Second Highest GPA in the Graduating Class (2014), SU
Carnell, S. (2020). Using Virtual Human Scenarios to Study and Improve Communication Skills Learners’ Message Production. Ph.D. Dissertation, Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering Department, University of Florida.
Carnell, S., Lok, B., James, M., & Su, J. (2019, March). “Predicting Student Success in Communication Skills Learning Scenarios with Virtual Humans.” International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge, pg. 436-440. ACM.
Carnell, S. & Lok, B. (2018, November). “The Effects of Author Identity on Dialogue for Virtual Human Communication Skills Training.” Intelligent Virtual Agents, pg. 65-70. ACM.
Carnell, S., Halan, S., Crary, M., Madhavan, A., & Lok, B. (2015, August). “Adapting Virtual Patient Interviews for Interviewing Skills Training of Novice Healthcare Students.” Intelligent Virtual Agents, pg. 50-59. Springer International Publishing.